Despicable Bee [Trailer] 2017 Despicable Bee [Trailer] 2017

Well, this is exactly where I expected Illumination to end up. I just expected their decline to take a while longer

Legends of the Starborn E1 Legends of the Starborn E1

Huge fan of the establishing shot backgrounds. They're not super detailed, but they have this nice aesthetic somewhre in between a story book and that surreal overly saturated image that comes to mind when reading a book that describes fantasy lands. This rings true both for the forest and the large stone building.

BenjaminPang responds:

The backgrounds have been drawn by two friends of mine, Lilla and Nikolay. I will tell them about this comment, thank you!

Purgatory Dreams - Tape One Purgatory Dreams - Tape One

I really wish I could rate this 5, but I really can't.
Most things that make up this animation are superb, but with just one thing being out of place the entire experience is ruined. I'm not lowering my score by half just because of this one big flaw I see, rather because of how easy it could have been fixed(granted that fix would've needed to be implemented at the writing stage), because of the missed potential.

THE GOOD: Over-all presentation was superb. The art, throwbacks to popular media, voice effects, everything build up quite the uncanny imagery that I couldn't take my eyes away from and the rough audio that ressonates too strongly not to bring to life an emotion or two. Aside from that glass crack effect, everything in this department was top-notch.

THE BAD: Tiff. Oh,Gods, Tiff was terrible. It ruined the entire experience for me, made me keep looking at that 10 min timeline, that I usually see as a Godsent when it comes to NG content, but now I just wanted it to be over with, the only thing keeping me from switching to another tab being the moments when she shuts up.

-Firstly the VA work sounds very out of place, not sure if that's a fault of the actress, the director or if she was actually intended to sound like that. This would've worked so much better if she had no voiced lines. The only good moments of Tiff communicating something was when that communciation was non-verbal, the way she moves when she's on-screen, her decissions, her actions, etc. I understood so much more about her thought process by seeing her make decissions, the way she moves the cursor, the determination, the fright; than I did when I heard her talk.
Honestly there was a lot of dissonance between the way Tiff spoke and the visuals. The most striking example of this is the Panic meter. That was the moment when I decided I just couldn't suspend my disbelief for this.

-Secondly, the writing. Tiff's lines are terrible and completely ruin any of the many possible moods this animation could have created. I'm not sure if she was supposed to come off as strong or mouthy or what, and I can't pinpoint the mistakes that were made in building up her character, because I'm unsure of the mood the short was going for. It's really hard to tell. Pixel art and an uncanny setting are elements that lie in juxtaposition. YOu never know what atmosphere that's supposed to be. In order to find that out, there has to be a third element to look at. Usually, the characters in the story. But Tiff being the only relevant character makes that hard. I can't tell if she's supposed to be like that, or if the performance was done poorly and that leaves everything regarding the story's feel up in the air.

I really wanted to like this so bad, but I just couldn't. It's the same way I wanted to like SAO, but all the bajillion budget visuals and sound can't make up for such an infect story. This case is a bit different. In this case I could excuse the atmosphere if it wasn't well-executed, but the intentions were good. But I can't tell if this was the way it was intended to come out or not.

Clockworkpixel responds:

theres intended to be a disconnect between momments, tiff acting cocky and a few joking parts so that when the scares came it all the more harder but with doing that way, it hits and it misses.

i tried making this without a script, kinda story board as i go along to see where the story took me. this worked well for pacing but it not so much with dialog.

i believe piper gave a great performance and if i have to place blam on that disconnect it'd be my pixel art. i should of made sprites more expressive but it would of leas to a longer delay and at some point you have to say "this is done" and move on.

i'm proud of what i've done here even with it's flaws. with the things i've noticed and you've pointed out i know what to improve in the future and i can only hope you enjoy tape two more if you're willing to give it another shot when the time comes? :)

Magic Girl Kosuchumu Magic Girl Kosuchumu

Really simple but solid game.
At first I had no idea what I was playing, but it's pretty straight forward after only one level.
The music really keeps you hooked and before you know it you've unlocked 12 outfits.
Would be nice if there was a bigger reward for unlocking something new, like if the character checked herself out whenever you picked a new costume or if she did a pirouette if she had dress on.
But, other than the lack of animation, the art is beautiful, very nicely painted character, and UI that doesn't stand out too much.

Chat Foncé : Petite Adventure Chat Foncé : Petite Adventure

@Sharpnova Look harder. I got stuck there too. All it takes is one damn minute and you find the third piece. The whole point of the game is exploration.

@TheMakersOfThis Amazing job. Very reminiscent of Link's Awakening with the huge pixel art sprites. This game takes everything I detest about collectathons and throws them out the window. It's focused, short, has a clear goal, doesn't implement gimmicks and is consistent.

The use of a limited colour palette really works for the night theme.

Fragile Fragile

"a lot of people won't get the idea and probably dislike it"
Are you freaking kidding me. This is a mini-masterpiece.
This reeks of aesthetics and game feel.
Keep up the good work.
Love the audio design, soothing yet unquieting, the art, so fluffy despite the sharp pixels and the buttery smooth controls.

Guardian Battle Guardian Battle

The way you stylize humans is a bit out of place with the rest of the composition but everything blends so well, it's hard to notice.

And hot damn, those colours. They are so harmonious and I like how full of energy they seem. It looks to be like every different type of spark is there for its own reason and all sparks of the same colour and intensity are oriented the same way, making it very easy to read what's going on rather than being overwhelming.

Nice piece.

The Farthest They Went The Farthest They Went

Is breá liom do chuid oibre. Cad a chiallaíonn an teideal?

W3R3W00F responds:

Go raibh míle maith agat :) B’fhéidir, tugann an teideal le fios go bhfuair roinnt daoine bás anseo? Nó d'imigh siad as radharc?

Comfort or Adventure? Comfort or Adventure?

Your description TwT. It hits a spot. I hope to be able to live in the day as much as possible.

ElDiogo responds:

I'm really happy it did. Knowing that I made someone feel something with my artworks is a wonderful feeling :) Just live where it makes you happy, and the rest will solve itself. :)